Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Winds of Change

Today is a big day. A HUGE day. An "I want to eat every piece of chocolate I can get my hands on" day. Miss Emma started 1st grade this morning. Not only is that a huge deal for her, but it means some pretty huge winds of change for me. Before Emma came along, I was a workaholic. Actually, a write-aholoic. I'd lock myself in my office and write for five or six hours a day, sometimes longer. Six years ago when Brittany needed a nanny for Emma, I staked my claim upon my granddaughter. I gratefully and excitedly set writing aside and enjoyed my time with Emma. Actually, that's a bit of an understatement. There's a remote possibility that I went a tad overboard in my roles as grandma and nanny. But in my defense, shouldn't a Giffy be the BEST Giffy in the history of Giffys? I think so!

I cried as Emma's bus pulled away this morning. Where oh where have the last six years gone? How in the world did she go from being this just yesterday
to being this today?
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for her. I'm thankful that she is healthy and thriving and enjoying life. It's all as it should be. But I'm left with one nagging, little question: What in the world am I supposed to do now???

Well, I've taken a two-step approach. First, this old grandma absolutely, positively NEEDS a baby to nurture. I told Rick that we are soooooooo getting a baby, and that he could choose between a human one and a canine one. Gotta admit that I'm thankful he chose a canine one. It will be a lot easier to potty train than a human one. Yes, I'm getting another Shih Tzu. The litter is just a few weeks old, so I won't get my new baby until October, assuming there is one that I want (as if it's possible that there wouldn't be, ha ha). This will be doggie #4. My kids think I'm crazy but eh, I'm doing it anyway. 

Second, I'm going to dive back into writing part time. I'll be mixing things up a bit. This blog will be for personal stuff. My actual "writings" will be on my author's page at www.vickiscottburns.com That site has pages (tabs on the left side) for my children's books, Bible study curriculum, devotionals, and random writings. I hope you'll check it out. You can subscribe to it if you'd like. You'll need to subscribe separately for each page/tab that interests you.

For today, I need a dose of Miss Emma. So I thought I'd post a few photos from the end of summer. Brittany started school the week before Emma did, so Miss Emma and I had a ridiculously awesome week! We went for lunch at The American Girl Store with Caroline. (Notice that Emma is wearing mommy's scarf because she REALLY missed her! So sweet!)
We even shared a dessert. For $5, I expected the brownie sundae to be much smaller than this. Emma was beyond thrilled! We couldn't even finish half of it. What a shame!
Then Caroline got a new 'do and pierced ears at the doll salon. (Yes, you read that correctly. Caroline got her ears pierced!)
 The next day, we baked Snickerdoodles, we ate Snickerdoodles for lunch, and we watched movies.
We couldn't resist going to see Despicable Me 2. AWESOME movie!
That's it for today. Hope your week is off to a good start. 

(I hope I have enough tissues and chocolate to make it through the day...)

No comments: