Monday, September 23, 2013

J'aime la Tour Eiffel

Let's pick up where we left off, shall we? Back to Paris! As you will no doubt tell by these photos, J'aime la Tour Eiffel (I love the Eiffel Tower). I'm not sure what it is: it's intriguing architecture, the story behind it's creation, the fight to avoid its demolition, or the romantic ambiance ascribed to it. In any case, I find myself fascinated by it. I must have taken over 100 photos of La Tour Eiffel, trying to capture it in different lighting, from different vantage points, and from different angles. These first few were taken from the opposite side of the Seine.
This one is my favorite. Everything looks better when my sweetheart is there!
We walked along the river, then cut back to Jardin des Tuileries for an afternoon snack in the park. That's when we received the cutest text from Miss Emma. She was concerned that we might be missing the silly faces she always makes. She was right!
Being the goofy grandparents that we are, we decided to send one back to her. 
I know, I know~faces only a mother could love! (So, Mom, do you?)

That evening, we returned to the Eiffel Tower. We had reservations in one of its restaurants, Restaurant 58, to celebrate our 30th anniversary. While we waited, I decided to get all artsy with some photos. Bet you're soooo surprised!
I really like this one.
I love this one. We had this blown up to poster size to hang above our fireplace. Our family room has black furniture with a grayish sectional, a gray stone fireplace, and black and white photos. We wanted to bring something "Paris-y" home but just couldn't find the right thing. We both love this photo, so there you go.
This isn't a very good picture, but at least we got one of us together! Check out the girl behind Rick. When our server said "Smile," she did!
After dinner, we went up to the viewing deck.  
This is looking across the Champs-de-Mars, the public park between the Eiffel Tower and Ecole Militaire (Paris' military school) which you can see at the end of the park.
We were daydreaming about living near the Eiffel Tower. We started checking out nearby apartments. It's amazing what you can see with a good telephoto lens! 
Here's a close-up of the above roof.
This is on the opposite side.
Here's a close-up of the above roof. I wonder if those people had any idea we could see them that well. Probably not! I felt like a spy, ha ha! You can call me double-o-51 (0051).
We hung out on the viewing deck, waiting for sunset so we that could see the Eiffel Tower at night. We didn't get to see that last summer, as it was so cloudy and rainy that there wasn't much to see. At 9:15, we walked through Champs-de-Mars and stood in front of Ecole Militaire. The park was filled with people, most of them enjoying picnics on blankets. It's legal to drink publicly in France, so champagne vendors were strolling through the park. Because France is so far north, the sun stayed up until almost 10:00. The light shows begin at 10:00 and last for 5 minutes. Every hour on the hour through 2:00 AM, a different 5-minute light show runs its course. We only stayed for the first show. We're old. We were already tired! Here's what I captured:
Now for a short video.
That's it for the Eiffel Tower. I miss it. Sigh. 

Wishing you a fabulous week!

1 comment:

Christy Lynn said...

Lovely pictures, Miss Vicki! That one that you blew up to poster-size and the one you posted right above it are quite stellar.

This morning I was checking my email when Vader wandered in (as he often does), but this time he was wearing my Eiffel Tower pajama pants draped over his back (they're ones I got at Target years ago that have the Eiffel Tower on them and say "I See London, I See France"). Not sure why he decided to be a fashion doggy this morning, but I got a good chuckle out of it.