Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sleepless in Seattle

Okay, so I wasn't actually sleepless in Seattle, but I did see the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat, so technically the title fits, right?

Anyway, last August I was supposed to meet my sidekick, Lesly, in Seattle for a girly getaway. Then my dental drama slammed me and I had to cancel. Eleven months later we finally got to go. We had such a fun time! 

First, we went on Bill Speidel's Underground Tour. It was amazing! In a nutshell, the Great Seattle Fire of 1889 destroyed much of Seattle. It had been built on both sea-level ground and the elevated parts of the city above it. One of the biggest problems was that all of the raw sewage from the elevated sections drained downhill and created a nasty, mucky mess. After the fire destroyed much of the city, Seattle was rebuilt. This time, the low lying parts of the city were built at a higher level. This was accomplished by building 8-foot retaining walls which served as the foundation for the new street-level buildings. So the new city was built above the old city, thus creating Seattle's "underground" which still houses some of the original city's buildings. Make sense? Clear as mud? Click here for more details. I had been on this tour once before, but I convinced Lesly that it is a must-see attraction in Seattle. 
So the ceiling here is the new street level.
You know me and my public bathroom thing. I cracked up when I saw this old toilet.
If you walk along the current sidewalks in this area, you occasionally come across one of these windows above the underground.
This is looking up through the same window. They were installed when the city was rebuilt. Some of the underground buildings were still used after the city was rebuilt. These windows allowed natural light to enter the underground.
These two were taken at the Underground Tour's entrance.
This huge, mechanized sculpture is outside of the art museum.
Naturally, I had to take Lesly to the Public Market Center to see the flying fish.
\
Okay, I know it's totally cool and fun and tons of tourists gather to watch those guys throw fresh fish around. Basically, a customer chooses a fresh fish, then this guy picks it up
and tosses it to another guy to wrap it. Everybody was oohing and ahhing. All I could think about was, "Ewwww....how badly must their hands smell at the end of the day?" It all seemed pretty yucky to me.
Until we found the gum wall. Trust me when I say that this is only one small portion of the infamous gum wall. Seriously, there must be millions of gum wads in this alley. 
Lesly happened to be chewing gum, so I goaded her into adding hers to the collection.
She touched gum. ABC (already been chewed) gum. Strangers' gum. Germy gum. Nasty gum. I-think-I-would-vomit-if-I-touched-a-piece gum.
Suddenly the stinky fish hands weren't the most disgusting thing I imagined, ha ha! Then we headed out to lunch.
These were the views from our table along the water.
We began the next day with a Chocolate Tour. That's right a chocolate tour! It was a walking tour around the city, stopping at a bunch of yummy chocolate shops which all provided samples. I was so busy gorging on chocolate that I forgot to take pics. Silly me. Later in the afternoon we went on a Duck Tour.
That's the Space Needle in the background.
We went right into Lake Washington. What a beautiful lake!
This is the Seattle skyline. Rick would so love to own that boat!
There are bunches of "houseboats" on Lake Washington. People actually live in these. They range from the teeny tiny
to what is considered to be large. 
This is the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat, considered to be one of the nicer ones. It's 2,075 square feet and sold for~drum roll, please~$2.5 MILLION dollars in 2008! Can you believe it? After the movie was released, a retired couple bought it for something measly in comparison, as in less than $300,000. Their realtor tried to dissuade them, saying that once the movie was forgotten, the houseboat's value would plummet. Little did the realtor know that the movie would become one of the most popular "chick flicks" ever. That retired couple made more than a $2 million profit. 
And what would a Duck Tour be without a couple of quackers? LOL
Next, we headed up the Space Needle for its spectacular views of Seattle, as well as for a very nice dinner at its restaurant at the top. The Space Needle was built for the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle. For the scoop on the Space Needle, click here.
Then we did some shopping. Every time Lesly and I travel somewhere, we shop for purses. It's kind of our "thing." Lesly always goes classically beautiful (because that's what she is), while I go quirky. :)
We spent our last day with my brother, Dave, and his family. These are his two grandsons, Sean and Taylor. They are so incredibly adorable! 
Sean was a bit leery of me and first. Can you blame him? But once I started playing with balloons, he took a liking to me. I meant to take a photo of Dave and his family, but my grandma brain took hold of me and I totally forgot. Bummer. :(
    
Here I am with my handsome brother, Dave. Love him!
These awaited me at home. 
Now, onto my photos from Europe. Hope you're having a great weekend!

1 comment:

Christy Lynn said...

That underground tour looks like great fun, I love those type things! The one we did in Rome was awesome, and Edinburgh too. I remember that at one of the now-underground houses in Edinburgh, this guy was one of the very first to get a toilet, so he put it in the front of his house so you'd see it if you opened the door. And he'd have the door open while he did is business in there too, yuck! He just wanted to make sure everyone else knew he had a modern convenience!!