Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm Back in the Saddle and The Royal Mews

Ok, I'm not yet in a horse saddle (but I will be soon, which I'll explain in a future post), but I am back in my computer saddle! My new toy arrived. I've got everything transferred over and working. My world is back on its axis and it makes me sooooo happy!

Back to London we go. Rick wanted to see The Royal Mews. I thought he was saying the Royal muse.  I was having a jolly British time trying to figure out who/what the Royal muse would be. It wasn't until we arrived at The Royal Mews that I finally understood what he was saying. Guess I'll blame my old grandma hearing, ha ha!

Just in case you're confused as well, a mews refers to a combination stable and carriage house. In recent times, it has also come to include an automobile garage. I'm guessing you can figure out the royal part all on your own. 

The Royal Mews in London, located near Buckingham Palace, houses quite a few historical coaches and carriages. I really wanted to see the glass coach used in Princess Diana's wedding, but it was at Kensington Palace on this particular day.

 This Semi-State Landau is primarily used to transport newly appointed foreign ambassadors to Buckingham Palace to be presented to the Queen. It is also used for royal weddings and the opening of Parliament. Queen Victoria bought this in 1838.
At the State Opening of Parliament, Queen Alexandra's State Coach carries the Imperial State Crown and the Sword of State from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster. (You've seen the Palace of Westminster in my previous posts~it's where Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminster Abbey meet.) I'm not sure exactly how old this one is, but it was converted from a closed coach into a glass coach in 1893. It's decorated with 60+ crowns.
The Irish State Coach is used for ceremonial occasions. The original one was built in 1851 but was destroyed by fire in 1911. It was rebuilt in a big hurry for King George V's coronation. The Queen still uses it for ceremonies. I really like the details on this one. It's even heated!
Totally cool car alert! This sweet baby is the State Limousine. Check out the coat of arms on its top.
G'day to the Australian State Coach! The Australian people gave this to the Queen in 1988 as a gift commemorating Australia's Bicentennial. This one has all of the bells and whistles, including electric windows and air conditioning! It's also the first State coach built since 1902.
The King Edward VII Town Coach is used to transport distinguished guests to and from Buckingham Palace.
Built in 1830, the Scottish State Coach is what the Queen rides in for official State ceremonies in Scotland.
It must be nice to be one of the Royal horses. This is what their stable looks like. Think of it as the Four Seasons. The stables near my house don't look a thing like this!
Check out this practice riding arena. It's totally climate controlled and pristine. Emma would be so jealous!
This baby, the Gold State Coach, dates back to 1762. It was built for King George III. Since 1821, every British monarch has ridden this baby to his/her coronation. (Warning: you might need your shades. There is some serious gold happening on this coach.)
That's it for the Royal Mews. I'm sticking in two photos of bridges just because I like them. 
And I think these are just ducky.

That's it for London. Up next: Cannes.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: