Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mount Vernon

Gotta say that we loved Mount Vernon! It is one of the prettiest, best-run American landmarks that we have visited. 
Rick bought me an awesome guidebook at Mount Vernon. I wish I could photograph it and post it here, but that would be plagiarism. I could go to jail. And you know what kind of bathrooms are in jail. So I'm pretty sure I shouldn't do that. The book, George Washington's Mount Vernon, is not very big and includes many beautiful photographs of the building interiors. If you're interested, you can pick it up here for less than $10. You can also read a lot of interesting info at www.MountVernon.org 

George Washington spent 45 years (1754-1799) expanding his home at Mount Vernon. The mansion still looks as it did upon completion. I was surprised to learn that he was such an avid gardener. There are still multiple gardens on the property. Some are working gardens which actually provided fruits and vegetables for both George Washington's family and for his servants and slaves as well. Other gardens are there simply because he loved them. He enjoyed experimenting with plants that he collected from other places. Many plants not native to Virginia can be found in the gardens. George himself spent much of his time tending to his gardens.

This is looking back towards the garden house.
Check out these beautiful magnolias!
This is the main house. 
If you read my post a few days ago regarding my "thing" about bathrooms (if not, scroll down to the post entitled "I'm Dumber Than a Cat"), then you'll get a good chuckle out of this photo. Imagine me having to use a "necessary." Hard to believe this was an "attractive design."
See all of these small buildings? Some of them housed servants and others served very specific purposes. I photographed the signs, as they do a better job describing things than can I. Click on the photos to enlarge them. 
I have an ink pot and a quill just like those in this photo. (Thank you, Arlene!)
Now that I think about it, the necessary would have been preferable to a chamber pot.
This is a huge bin of coal for the blacksmith shop.
I'm pretty sure this vehicle did not belong to George Washington. Just a hunch.
In addition to gardening, George Washington was also very interested in progressive farming. 
That's right. This is a ginormous pile of dung. :) 
I took this photo along the left side of the main house, pointing out towards its veranda and the Potomac River.
This is a pecan tree.
Now for some photos of the grounds.
We took a short cruise along the Potomac.
This is looking up at main house.
This once served as a fort.
This is the top of the family mausoleum. George Washington died in December of 1799. 
George Washington's tomb is on the right. Martha Washington's is on the left.
This is the tomb of George Washington.
Even though we spent more than four hours at Mount Vernon, and even though it poured on us for at least half of that time, we would love to return. If you ever get the chance to visit it, take it. You won't be disappointed!

No comments: