Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Until We Meet Again...

I've been having a difficult time finding the words for this post. William Berringer is a man very near and dear to my heart. I've written about him before~he's Robyn's father. 

I met William in Colorado in 2000 shortly after Robyn and I became friends. My father had just died. William quickly became a surrogate father to me. Since then William, along with Robyn's mom Judy, have not only taken a heartfelt interest in me and my family, but have continuously offered support, encouragement, friendship, love, and prayers. 

In 2003, I moved from Colorado to Massachusetts. I've visited Colorado numerous times since. William and Judy have always welcomed me into their home with open and loving arms. They have made me feel as though I am one of their own.

This photo of William and Judy was taken in September at Courtney's wedding (Robyn's daughter).
Here are William and his mother, Lois, at Thanksgiving. 
This photo of Robyn, her brothers Todd and Brett, and their parents was taken a few days before Christmas, at the celebration of William and Judy's 50th anniversary. 
On April 2nd, William died after a battle with squamous cell carcinoma. He honored God throughout his battle. He faced his cancer with valor. He died as he lived, with honor and dignity and surrounded with love. As you can imagine, it has been a difficult time for Robyn and her family. Please pray for them as they prepare for William's memorial service, as well as for the days ahead as they adjust to their loss. Pray, too, for William's mother Lois. She has outlived three of her four children. I have outlived one of mine and know all too well the heartbreak of the journey. I don't want to even imagine outliving three. I wish that I could wrap my arms around dear Lois.

In many ways, William's death feels like I have lost my own father all over again. My heart aches. Yet at the same time, I rejoice along with Robyn's family for our faith assures us that William has been welcomed home into God's presence for all eternity. Thus, this is not "Goodbye, William" but rather "Until we meet again..."

"...and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain..." Revelation 21:4

No comments: