Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rome Day 1, Part 2

In my last post I left you at the Pantheon. After Emma enjoyed the fountain mouse, we decided to head back to our apartment. We passed the Temple of Hadrian along the way. Built in AD 145, this temple was a monument to the emperor Hadrian, lifting his status to that of a god. (In a country that is staunchly Catholic, it's interesting to find so many relics dedicated to pagan gods.) Only this section remains from the original temple. A newer building incorporated this section of the remains, and the old/new building served as a papal customs house before becoming the current Roman stock exchange.
This photo gives you an idea of how tall the columns are.
Throughout Rome, we found the coolest water fountains to fill water bottles. Much to my delight, people didn't drink directly from them. Like Emma, they cupped the water in their hands. (Okay, I'd be lying if I said that these water fountains didn't kind of sort of bug me. I refer to water fountains as "flu swamps" because I always see people putting their mouths directly on them. Needless to say, I never use them. But I watched people at several of these fountains and didn't see anyone turning them into flu swamps. It actually would be difficult to do so since the faucets aren't positioned well for drinking.) The best part is that the water was cold, which was wonderful because it was nearly 100 degrees the whole time we were there. 
We finally came upon the Trevi Fountain. I've seen it before, but that did not make it any less beautiful to me the second time around. It's quite young by Roman standards, only 250 years old. 
 I took quite a few zoomed in photos to see some of the details.
Neptune is in the center. In Greek mythology, Poseidon (god of the sea) had a son named Triton who became Poseidon's messenger. Both of them carried tridents, but Triton used a special conch shell to calm the sea. Do you remember King Triton in The Little Mermaid? Now you know where his name originated. Anyway, there is a Triton on either side of Neptune. One represents the calmness of the sea while the other represents the power of the sea. So what does all of this have to do with Rome? Well the Trevi Fountain marks the spot of an aqueduct built in 1762. According to legend, Trevi was the young virgin who first identified the spring which supplies the water to this spot. 
Then it was time to head back to our apartment. We were exhausted! We hadn't expected to walk so much or see so much in just a few hours. 

The Forum's up next. Bueno serĂ¡! (Goodnight!) 

1 comment:

Christy Lynn said...

Did you throw a coin over your shoulder so that you would someday return to Rome? Lee and Sarah claim I almost beaned someone in the head when I threw in mine :)