Monday, August 29, 2011

St. George's, Part 1

We made it to Bermuda early Wednesday morning. We had planned to spend the day at a beach on St. George's but woke up to yet more rain. We decided to go for it anyway. There was no way we were sailing all the way to Bermuda just to stay on the ship to hide from the rain! We figured that it's way better to be on vacation in the rain than at home in the rain. At least we weren't working, going to school, or doing chores. Besides, it was warm and we intended to get wet in the ocean anyway. So we packed our stuff and off we went.

St. George's is one of the islands which compose Bermuda. It is also the name of the main town on St. George's Island. Clear as mud? LOL Here are a few shots in the town of St. George's.
Here's Miss Emma, sitting at a desk in the most beautiful Town Hall I've ever seen.
Check out the Town Hall's ceilings.
We walked over to Somers Garden.
We then began our one-mile hike through the pouring rain to Tobacco Bay. Emma was a trooper and walked the whole way without complaining. She is such an awesome kid!

This is The Unfinished Church. Back in the 1870s, St. Peter's Church was severely damaged by a storm, so construction began on this church. However, the parishioners of St. Peter's Church were divided: some wanted to try to repair it instead of building a new structure, while others believed that St. Peter's church was irreparably damaged. Consequently, the new structure was severely underfunded and construction was halted. This unfinished church later became an historic monument. For many years, the public was permitted to use this church for gatherings and weddings. Exposure to wet and windy weather has caused some of the masonry to deteriorate. The Unfinished Church is now closed to the public as it is being repaired. 
The rain came and went as we continued our hike towards Tobacco Bay. Along the way, Emma created a silly game which she continued for the duration of the cruise. It went like this.
Emma: Papa, I need to tell you something.
Rick: Okay. I'm listening.
Emma: Papa, you don't have any hair.
Rick (putting his hands on the sides of his head): What do you mean I don't have any hair? I can feel it.
Emma: No, Papa, on the top of your head!
Rick (putting his hands on the top of his head): Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! I have no hair up there! Emma, what did you do with my hair?
Emma: I didn't take your hair, Papa!
Rick: Then what happened to it? (This is when the boys piped in with "you had Brittany.")
Emma: I think you throwed it away!
Papa: I think you stole it from me! (Rick grabbed her ponytail). Give it back!
Emma: No Papa! That's my hair! (Emma hysterically giggled, which made us all laugh!)
Apparently the game is still fun because she keeps on playing it. Rick is such a good sport!

Anyway, back to the photos. We aren't golfers, but I would take up golf in an instant to live in Bermuda and play on this course!
Bermuda's beaches are adorned with limestone rocks which separate the bays from the open ocean. Here are some views of Tobacco Bay, one of Bermuda's best known beaches. We decided to keep walking in search of a beach with a little more actual beach. There was only about ten feet of sand or so beyond the water's edge. It was also a bit rocky in the water.
I really like this photo!
I couldn't pass up the water drops on the hibiscus petals.
I have no idea what species of spider this is. I looked it up on Google and refuse to tell you the search results Google posted. Trust me when I tell you that they had nothing to do with spiders. At any rate, we all thought this spider was really cool. I couldn't get a great photo of it, as they were all pretty high above my head and it was raining. Still, you'll get the idea.
Not far from this spider, we stumbled across a small, completely empty beach. We were just about to settle in...
...when the sky looked like this. 
This beach was right at the foot of St. Catherine's Fort. We decided to explore the fort for awhile as we waited out the storm. I'll be back tomorrow with more!

Update on Hurricane Irene: We fared quite well. The storm weakened as it passed New England. Vermont suffered the most damage. We had heavy rains and high winds. Several branches came off of trees, but nothing big. We lost power three times, but by 9:30 pm it was restored. The worst part was that our cable went down, which meant no internet or TV! That lasted for about 18 hours. Me - internet = one unhappy camper. I seriously don't know how Wilma Flintstone did it. :)

Well, off to bathe at least one of my three stinky dogs. They all have that lovely "wet dog smell" from going out in the storm yesterday.

Wishing you a happy Monday!

No comments: