Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Well, for us, it was just the gardens. By Friday morning I knew I was getting sick. I still had the headache as well as a sore throat. Now I assume that I was fighting this virus on Wednesday and that's why I fell victim to heat stroke. There's NO WAY it could have been because I'm old. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Although my mom did point out to me that I am pushing the big 5-0 (next summer) and need to adjust. Nope, I'm not going to do it! I'm going to stick to my story instead, so there! Neener neener! (Typed in pure childlike fashion, hee hee!)

Anyway, we were at the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens by 9:30. It's history is quite interesting. I apologize~I usually like to write the historic info here, but I'm sick and lazy today. You can read about it here. Anyway, the garden was humongous and was breathtaking. I cannot imagine how beautiful it must be in the spring when the myriad of flowers are in bloom. I did manage to find a few flowers to photograph (they're for you, Christy) and lots of tree branches and water reflections so I was a happy little wannabe photographer.

Oak trees, and I mean HUGE oak trees, are everywhere. What I really liked was the Spanish moss hanging from them.
I really like this bridge. It reminds me of the one in the Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I was not a fan of the algae covered water.
Yeah, like you could ever convince me to get into this rowboat, especially since there are alligators in the waters!
I like the bark on this tree. I'm sure there is a much fancier name for it than bark, but I have no idea what it is.
Okay, I was playing with my camera. Here's the shot with the background in focus...
...and here it is with the foreground in focus. 
These are just a bunch of random shots I took as we strolled.
This tree has grown out over the water. It looked pretty cool!
I'm not sure what happened to this tree, but I'm sure something interesting has moved into this hole. I thought about sticking my camera inside of it to take a photo, but then I decided that one near-emergency-room-episode (as Robyn calls it) was enough. Besides, with my luck I would have dropped my camera into the hole!
This is the family crypt. Apparently there is a hidden underground passage where the caskets are actually entombed. This looked so pretty and peaceful that I didn't realize what it was until I read the placard.
This is the front of the plantation house. It's architecture is quite different than that of Charleston's other plantation homes.
The back porch of the home is adorned with two unexploded cannon balls from the Civil War. I think this was the coolest thing that I saw!
Next to the home, there is one of several reflecting ponds. This was the only one not covered in algae. It's surface was completely still and glassy. Check out how clearly the bridge and trees are reflected.
The gardens sit behind the house, this reflecting pond is to the left of the house, and this meadow is in front of the house. I really like the character of the craggy old fence.
The meadow is home to quite a few animals: several horses and peacocks, geese, ducks, and chickens.
We waited around for awhile to see if this guy would fan his feathers, but he pretty much ignored us.
This horse, however, took a liking to Robyn. She would look at Robyn every time Robyn spoke.
This totally cracked us up~she knows how to scratch her itchy neck on the fence! She kept rubbing it back and forth as she whinnied. 
We wanted to tour the home and the slave quarters, but the heat index was once again 115 degrees and the slave quarters are not air conditioned. I thought that remaining upright was a good idea, so we passed. Besides, we spent so much time strolling through the gardens that we needed to hurry back and get dressed for our tea. I definitely want to go back and finish this tour, preferably in the spring when everything is in bloom. 

That's it for Charleston. By Saturday morning I was feeling really crummy but had to fly home anyway. Now I'm enjoying this virus in it's glory. It started as a head cold which has moved into a chest cold and laryngitis. Yes, Mom, I know I'm pushing 50. I promise to go to the doctor if it gets worse, so don't worry, k? Love you!

3 comments:

arlene said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time. So sorry you're sick again. We NEED to plan a date for your BIrthday (giving you some time to get well). Glad you got to spend some time with your friend Robin though and you got to still do a bunch of fun things.

BTW, found Brittany's blog and am finding it hysterically funny would it be ok to leave her a comment? Also, are you heading out to CA again this summer? Shoot me an email.

Get better quick - HUGS!!!

Christy Lynn said...

The cannonball decorations are pretty cool, and I always love looking at peacocks :) My favorite picture is the big white moonflower, I used to have some of those in my backyard when we lived in North Carolina. Love those with morning glories :)

Tanya said...

Looks like ya'll had a fun time! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!