Saturday, April 23, 2011

San Juan, Puerto Rico~Part Two

Here are some more photos from our stroll along El Paseo de la Princesa. I thought this tree was really cool.
I like this tree, too. It's called a Banyan tree. I've seen them in Hawaii. Their branches hang to the ground where they push in and root. Very cool!
These are photos of the Governor's mansion.
Here's another one for you, Christy! I love taking photos through tree branches. Just me pretending to be artsy.
We couldn't figure out what we saw perched high in a tree, so I looked through my camera and zoomed as far as I could. It was a pelican! Seriously, who knew that pelicans perch in the highest branches of trees?
We had read about this restaurant that supposedly invented the Pina Colada in 1963. Rick was born on January 8, 1963. (He shares his birthday with Elvis, though I contend that Rick is the real king!) Since he shares his birth year with the Pina Colada, we felt it was our duty to at least wish it a happy birthday! Ha ha!
The food was delicious! And I must admit that this was the best Pina Colada I'ver tasted! (Bad self-portrait taken on a camera phone in the dark, but still...)
We enjoyed these views from our balcony Sunday morning.
Yes, that's an old fort in the lower left corner.
Here's a closer shot of it.
I'll give you one guess where we headed for breakfast. If you guessed a return trip to Starbucks for coffee and quesitos, you're right! I am telling you, those quesitos are heavenly! Of course after eating them we decided we needed to walk the city again to wear off the kazillion calories we'd consumed.

Two of the things I love most about San Juan are the colors and architectural style of the homes. They just make me feel happy.
And, of course, I had to have a photo of the church steeple seen through the branches.
We stopped for lunch at this popular local restaurant. Let me say that in addition to being very friendly, Puerto Rican people sure can cook! We shared a Cuban panini sandwich that was delicious. And then they brought us banana empanadas. They are right up there with quesitos on my new list of favorite foods! They were tiny triangles made from the same dough as the quesitos. They were stuffed with sliced bananas and chunks of dark chocolate, then were briefly deep fried to make them crispy. Then they were drizzled with chocolate sauce. I should have taken a photo of them, but they didn't last long!
We boarded the ship in the late afternoon. These were the views from our balcony.
Here's my artsy shot as we pulled out of port at 11 PM.
January 6th is a special day in Puerto Rico known as Dia de los Tres Magos or Three Kings Day. This day celebrates the day on which the three kings/wise men delivered their gifts to the baby Jesus. On January 5th, Puerto Rican children traditionally place a shoebox filled with hay, grass, or straw beneath their beds. If the children have been good during the last year, the Three Kings will visit them during the night. The Three kings will take the grass to feed to their horses (yes, the Three Kings really had camels, but there aren't any camels in Puerto Rico) and will leave candies or small toys in the shoebox.

For Christmas a few years ago, Keaton's sweet girlfriend, Tina, brought us an ornament from Puerto Rico with The Three Kings on it. This was the first time I'd heard of this tradition. I really love the ornament, and even found a cross stitch pattern of The Three Kings (which I hope to stitch before Christmas). You know I collect boxes from our travels, so I was thrilled to find one portraying this Puerto Rican tradition.
Of course, I couldn't leave without getting a little something for Miss Emma. This is a tiny basket for her to use as a jewelry box.
That's it for Puerto Rico. The islands of St. Thomas and St. John are up next. Have a spectacular Saturday!

1 comment:

Christy Lynn said...

Hey Miss Lady, you got some pretty pictures in San Juan! We had banyan trees in Okinawa, I always thought they were super weird and interesting to look at. I still haven't done any scrappin' this month but I hope to head on into my craft room after I take my two little kidlets for a walk today. Hope you have a gorgeous day in New England, it sure is pretty here in Jolly Ol' England ;)