Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Just a few shots from our annual trip to the local pumpkin patch a few weeks ago. The pumpkin patch is part of a local apple orchard (my small country town is full of and known for its apple orchards) where you can pick and eat the apples right from the trees. Yum!
Emma leading the way...
My beautiful girls!
The ugliest pumpkin I have ever seen! Even Cinderella's fairy godmother would have had a hard time turning this ugly pumpkin into a handsome carriage! LOL
Miss Emma had to check every pumpkin...
..until she finally found the perfect one! Too bad the wind and sun wouldn't cooperate for my photos. She'd either squint or be blown around like crazy!
Papa, the Mighty Pumpkin Carrier! LOL
We bought two others the same size, which Brittany and I carried. We had to haul those pumpkins a long way up an inclining dirt path to get back to the car, where we paid too much for them. Later we swung by Lowe's and saw pumpkins the same size for $4 each! But there wouldn't have been any adorable photo ops at Lowe's, nor would there have been any bracnhes for me to photograph! LOL

This is the produce store at the apple orchard/pumpkin patch. They serve the best fresh apple cider doughnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar, which is our annual treat after hauling those ginormous pumpkins back to our car. I only took a bite of one because of my GI junk going on~but if I get better before the season ends, I am soooooo going back to get one of my own! I am quite sure Emma will want to go with me!
This is the "picnic" area at the orchard. I love these rock walls that are all over my town. Granite is plentiful here~and these huge rocks surface in yards, fields, etc. as they are gradually pushed up by water. People clear the rocks/boulders from their property and build fences with them. Cool, huh?

4 comments:

Jamie said...

How fun!! We told the kids they could get whatever pumpkin they could carry and then we plan on buying the big ones for cheap, best of both worlds haha!!

arlene said...

I so missed apple picking this year & am totally bummed. It looks like a fabulous day.

Which orchard do you typically go to? Silly me can never remember the names of the orchard we pick & usually end up at a different one every year. LOL!

Christy Lynn said...

Aww, cute pictures! It's been forever since I've been to a pumpkin patch...I'll have to go next year when I'm in England :D The apple orchard sounds like fun too. One of the bad things about living in Okinawa is they didn't have any good baking apples so homemade apple pie didn't turn out as well as it should have. Hope that I don't have that problem in England...I like to make an apple pie for Lee for Thanksgiving!

Tanya said...

Great pictures! Emma is getting so big! They grow up so fast, don't they?!?!?!