Thursday, September 23, 2010

Boxes, Boxes, Boxes

Several people have asked about my box collection, so I decided to post pictures of it. My love for boxes started when I was a little girl. My grandpa smoked cigars and he often gave me his empty cigar boxes. These, of course, were treasures to a little girl who adored her grandpa! So I used them as treasure boxes to hold my gum wrappers (Karen, remember the gum wrapper chains we made?), my costume jewelry, my money, etc. My grandpa's been gone for 25 years, but I still have one of his cigar boxes~it must be 40+ years old! And in many ways, it has held up better than I have! LOL

In addition to the cigar boxes, I've always loved a wooden box that my mother has. Her grandmother brought it with her from Hungary, I think (Mom, let me know if I'm wrong on that). I don't have a photo of it, but the box is breathtaking with its very detailed carvings. Next time I go to my mom's, I'll take a photo of it.

I have boxes in all sorts, shapes, and sizes. They're not displayed together as a collection, but are used to decorate various rooms in my home.

When Rick and I got engaged in 1981 (at the ripe old age of 18!), my parents gave me this box as an engagement gift. It it very delicate, but has survived 5 moves! And so the collection began...
Rick gave me this box, made in Italy, as a Christmas gift in 1984.
Rick and I went to the World's Fair in Vancouver in 1986. I bought this box at the Korean pavilion. The bamboo and bird are inlaid with Mother of Pearl.
My parents gave me this Lennox box as a Christmas gift in the mid-1980's.
This Hummel music box (made in Germany) was given to me by a friend when Brennan was born in 1988.
I painted these hat boxes in 1995, a few years before I blew my hand and could no longer paint.
Rick's parents brought this box to me from Russia in the early-t0-mid 1990's.
This box came home with me from Maui in 2003.
Keaton made this box for me in 2003. He was 13.
I bought this box in San Francisco in 2004. I like to quilt, so I couldn't pass on it!
I bought this box in Honduras in 2009.
Brennan brought this box for me from Lebanon in January.
I recently bought this glass box in Rhode Island.
A few months ago, Christy Stanford sent this box to me from Japan. (It is actually a set of nesting boxes.)
And more recently, Christy gave me this box~which she bought in Tokyo~for my birthday.
So there you have it~my life in boxes! And it all started with an old cigar box from Pop. Oh, how I miss him...

No comments: