Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bermuda, Part 1

Our final stop on our cruise was the beautiful island of Bermuda. In 1503, Bermuda was discovered by Juan de Bermudez, a Spanish explorer. The island was frequently visited but remained unsettled until 1612, when England claimed it. Bermuda is the oldest continually inhabited English town in the New World. It is only 640 miles west-northwest of the North Carolina coast.

I am quite intrigued by two specific facts about Bermuda: 1) Due to its proximity to the U.S., it was used by Confederate Blockade Runners during the American Civil War to evade Union ships and deliver supplies to the Confederate army. 2) Every Easter, Bermudians of all ages build and fly traditional Bermudian kites to symbolize the ascent of Christ. These kites are famous, holding world records for flight duration and altitude.

As we pulled into the Royal Dockyard, we were captivated by the turquoise color of the ocean.
Thankfully, we had one-and-a-half days to explore Bermuda. We didn't arrive at the port unitl 1:00 PM on the first day. We spent the afternoon in Hamilton, the capital city. Get ready: more photos taken through tree branches!
We spotted this fountain as we strolled through town~whale tails!
The Fairmont Princess Hotel is renowned for its traditional English tea. Although I knew I would love to attend, I didn't suggest it because I assumed Rick would rather do about a million other things while in Bermuda. And true to his nature, my sweetheart suggested and arranged it himself! It turned out to be the perfect day for it, as it was cool, windy, and rainy anyway.
The tea was exquisite! Such a treat!
This hotel has the most beautiful garden...
...event room...
...and breathtaking views!
We returned to the ship for dinner, then decided to go back to the Royal Dockyard for an evening stroll. Here's a view of our ship from the dock, taken just after sunset.
I love to seek out local artisans when we travel. I am always intrigued by various forms of art. I rarely purchase things, but enjoy "window shopping" at the local shops and craft markets. In the Royal Dockyard, there's a fairly large studio called Dockyard Glassworks. They make handblown glass ornaments, vases, plates, platters, bowls, glasses, jewelry and more~each piece unique and beautiful!

We are redecorating our family room from floor to ceiling, completely changing the style and feel of the room. Rick spotted this vase in the glass studio. It will coordinate perfectly with the grayish-green color we are putting on the walls. Two huge surprises in one day: Rick wanted to go to tea and he chose a piece of art! I like Bermuda's effect on my man! LOL
We spent the next day in St. George's, the original capital of Bermuda. I'll post those photos tomorrow. In the meantime, I think I'll go dream about that beautiful turquoise water...

3 comments:

Chrissy D said...

Ohhhh such beautiful pictures Vicki! I think I will spend my day just looking at these and pretending I am there! LOL TFS!

Christi said...

What gorgeous pics!! I'm with Chris...I'm pretending I'm there too...*sigh* :)

Christi said...

Gorgeous pics!!!!