Monday, March 29, 2010

Vicki and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I like a clean house, which is putting it mildly. Lately, migraines and a bad cold have caused me to seriously neglect my typical routine. We are hosting Easter dinner, so I had to kick the cleaning mode into high gear. I hung out with my family all weekend and enjoyed a bit of scrapbooking, figuring that I could get the house done during the week no problem. That's where I went wrong.

Started cleaning upstairs today. A little dirtier than usual, but I could deal with it. Rick usually cleans the showers for me, as I have severe allergies to many cleaning products. Well, Rick left for South Korea on Saturday morning, and neither one of us thought to check the guest shower before he left. Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dirty. But how can I let guests use it without cleaning it first? That would drive me nuts! (And trust me, that would be a short drive! LOL) So I decided to just clean it quickly, as if that would cause less of a reaction. Duh. So in my infinite wisdom, I doused the shower with a spray cleaner. I didn't even touch the stuff, yet my skin became torturously itchy and I had trouble breathing. Yes, I was smart enough to open the window, turn on the fan, and close the door. But by that time, I was wondering if I should seek medical help. Don't worry, Mom~I am thankful to report that I didn't need to call 911 and that all is well now. No, Emma wasn't with me, and at least the shower is clean! LOL

Then Emma woke up crying because she really wanted her mommy. I calmed her, but then she cried because the doll earrings (stick ons) I bought yesterday wouldn't stay on Lucy (her Bitty Baby doll). We got over that, had breakfast, and got dressed without further ado. Looked like we were on the road to a better day!

But noooooooooooo. We went downstairs and discovered that one of the dogs had barfed all over the family room. Unfortunately, we didn't discover the dog barf until Emma stepped in it. Yes, she was barefoot. (What fun would it have been if she'd been wearing shoes? She would have missed the whole squeezing-through-her-toes experience!) Of course, she immediately ran to me to show me what had happened~and although I find her tiny footprints quite endearing, tiny footprints made with dog barf don't have quite the same effect on me. Stepping in dog barf with bare feet would make anyone cry~and cry Emma did! I scrambled to lock Tiffany (the puppy) in her kennel to keep her from playing with the dog barf while I washed Emma's foot. Emma didn't believe that it was really all gone, so I had to wash it again. Then I grabbed the carpet cleaner only to discover that it was clogged with all kinds of yuk from previous carpet cleanings. I have no idea what kind of yuk it was, because it no longer resembled anything that I have ever seen on my carpet. So I had to clean the carpet cleaner before the carpet cleaner could clean the carpet. And it was only 11:00 AM!!! That's when I declared today to be a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (which is an homage to the children's book by Judith Viorst).

So there I was, stuck in the middle of my literary nightmare, when a BIG box arrived from my friend, Christy~the darlin' who shops for and sends kokeshi dolls to me from Okinawa, Japan! Nothing like some new dolls to rescue me from the plot of my day!

But that's another story for another day...

2 comments:

Christy Lynn said...

K, so I was laughing out loud over here about the dog barf squishing between toes and then making tiny footprints all over your house. I've had those kinds of days, although usually my doglets wake me up barfing around 4 in the morning ;) Glad that the dolls made it there to help turn your frown upside down!! Gee, perfect timing on my part huh?!

Amy said...

Hi Vicki! I need your email address for the blog hop!
Thanks!!