Thursday, March 25, 2010

Stepping Out of My "Auto" Box

My dad was quite the photographer. He even built his own darkroom! Back in the 1980's when he was at his photography peak, I wasn't too interested in learning, even though he would have loved to teach me. That's a decision I deeply regret. I love taking photos now and wish I had let him mentor me while I had the opportunity. Hindsight...boo.

I have two cameras that I love to use (a Nikon D100 and a Canon PowerShot G10). I've had the Nikon for 11 years and the Canon for 7 months~and I must admit that they have rarely been off of the "Auto" settings. I finally realized how goofy it is to have cameras that I don't really know how to use. My SIL, Lori, convinced me to enroll in an online digital photography class. I am so glad I did! It's a 7-week course called Oh Shoot Photography and can be found here. Lesson 1 was to shoot a moving subject with a slow shutter speed, which produces a softer, more "blurred" image and can capture the essence of the movement. Then we were to shoot the movement again at a fast shutter speed.

What better moving object to photograph than the cutest grand-daughter on the planet? LOL
I used my Canon G10 primarily because it fits in my purse and was easy to take along for this assignment. LOL This was shot at a shutter speed of 1/60, which means the shutter was open for 1/60th of a second. (Hard to believe that's considered slow!) Check out Emma's hair.
This was shot at a shutter speed of 1/250. Notice how crisp and clear Emma is, including her magic wand (aka the stick).
In addition to a weekly technical assignment, there is also a weekly creative assignment. This week, the assignment was to take a photo in your town of something you have never photographed before. I live in the country and wanted a photo depicting that. I also love to take photos through branches and of water reflections~I really like the "artsy" look I get. So when I spotted this at the end of my street, I knew I had found my shot.
I can't wait for next week's lesson! Lori, thanks for talking me into this!

Have a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Those are beautiful pictures!! Love them, Emma is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with the kit! Want to join us on the hop??