Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Funny Valentine

Welcome to Stamping Bella's Show & Tell Challenge for February!

I grew up listening to the music of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, and Sammy Davis, Jr. My parents had (and my mom still has) a huge stereo in their living room, the kind that was actually a piece of furniture because it was so large. At one time, my father was a dance instructor for the Arthur Murray School of Dance. My parents would dance across their living room as their old records played in the background. Of course, I was young enough back then to hate my parents' music. I am proud to say that I now appreciate and delight in my parents' music, and the first few notes from any of these timeless voices carry me back to that place in my heart where I can still watch my parents dance. Perhaps the first few lines of this classic Frank Sinatra song will carry you somewhere, too:

"My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart...
But don't you change one hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is Valentine's Day"
(Copyright Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart)

It's hard to believe that February has already arrived! So, too, has Valentine's Day. This month's challenge is three-fold: 1) Make a card using Valentine's Day as your theme. Any Stamping Bella stamp will do. Your card needn't be romantic; it can be for a friend, a child, a parent, or whomever. 2) Outline your image. If you color with Copics or other markers, view Amy Rysavy's fabulous tutorial here. If you color with Prismacolors or other colored pencils, view Cecilia Ross' awesome tutorial here. 3) Go back to the challenge thread and share your wonderful creation with us!

You can participate in this challenge here. On Thursday, February 11th, a winner from among the challenge participants will be randomly drawn and announced in the challenge thread. The winner will receive a $15 gift voucher to Stamping Bella!

I used Sending You Love (by Tiddly Inks for Stamping Bella) to make valentines for my sons. Although they are adults, they will never be too old for valentines and care packages from their old mama! (Supplies.)
BTW, thanks to Amy and Cecilia for their incredible tutorials!

"Stay little valentine stay
Each day is Valentine's Day."

Happy Valentine's Day, a wee bit early!

3 comments:

Chichiboulie said...

That's so cute! Mums do so love their little men (and little ladies too, of course!)

Sparkle said...

This is just darling!

arlene said...

Way too cute. Tomorrow is definitely going to be stamping day I need to finish my Valentine's. and I'm definitely going to play along this week.