Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Emma's Special Day with Giffy

People keep asking me about "Giffy." When Brittany (my daughter and Emma's mom) was little, she pronounced my name as "Giffy." It stuck as my husband's nickname for me. Before Emma was born, Brittany asked if she could call me Giffy instead of Grandma for sentimental reasons. I was all over that! I like it because it's different, and it sounds way younger than "Grandma." LOL

Anyway, Emma and I got to have a special day on Monday, which was her actual birthday. By "special" I mean spoiled~after all, that is my duty as her Giffy! First, we went out for a special breakfast. That meant doughnuts, which is something we rarely do. She insisted on wearing her "pretty princess crown" as she calls it (from my SIL and brother, Kristin and Dave). 
I let her choose her breakfast: a pink doughnut (of course!) with sprinkles and chocolate milk. Of course, Emma was the star of the show. Everyone had to stop by and tell her how pretty she looked with her crown on, and to wish her a happy birthday. When she was finished with her donut, it looked as though it had been sliced in half like a bagel: she ate the top half until the frosting was gone, and then she was done!
After breakfast, I asked her what we should do next. Her answer was "watch Sully and Boo," which translates into the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. It was so sweet of her to choose my favorite Disney movie. I wonder how she knew...

After the movie, she asked to go to the library. How cool is it that a 2-year-old loves the library?! She really does love it~she begs to go all of the time. It has a really great children's section. The kids can run around and play with puzzles, puppets, trains, a dollhouse, etc., as well as two gerbils and two guinea pigs. Even though the guinea pigs are named Finnie and Winnie, she thinks they are named Zam as is the guinea pig in my book. Once she saw the guinea pigs, she talked about Zam sleeping on Billy's pillow (the opening and closing of the book). So of course we had to read the book while we were there. Since I was eight years old, I have dreamt of being a children's author. When my first book was published two years ago and I first held a copy of it in my hands, I couldn't imagine that the dream could be any sweeter. Reading it to Emma and hearing her laugh at the story is the icing on the cake. Seeing her read it in a public library is the cherry on top!
We played at the library until lunch time. What better thing for lunch on your 2nd birthday than a Happy Meal from McDonald's? Unfortunately, this McDonald's doesn't have a playland, so we ate at home.
Then we played dress-up. Here's a short video clip of Emma talking with me.
video
After that, we went wild with Play Doh until naptime. It was such a great day!
Happy 2nd birthday, sweet Emma! I'll love you forever and for always....


4 comments:

Jamie Hurley said...

Oh my! How sweet is she? I am so glad you got to spend her day with her! It sounds like you two had it made.........
She is precious!

Jenn said...

How sweet! She looks sooo cute with her crown on! Sounds like both of you had a very special day! :D

Lori said...

What a fun day she had... A day fit for a princess. What a wonderful Giffy you are :)

Laura said...

she is adorable Vicki!