Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Couple O' Quilts

Four years ago, I decided to try my hand (well, my machine) at quilting. Our decor is lodgey (yup, new word~just made it up!) and mostly jewel tones. Here's my first quilt:
That one was pretty easy. So I decided to make another one. This one reflects the changing colors of the leaves in New England.
The first two were pretty simple. Now, most people would venture out in baby steps. Not me. I go from small to big in a hurry! Two easy quilts under my belt, so I thought, "Why not make a queen-sized quilt for the giant wall in my basement? I can always use it on a bed later." So I bought the fabric, got it all cut out and organized, and then I tried to sew it on my machine. It never occurred to me that a queen-sized quilt is a LOT of fabric to gather under the arm of a home quilting machine. So I squeezed and gathered and bunched and finally made it work! Needless to say, this will be by my one and only large quilt.
My next one was MUCH smaller, LOL. This was made from a kit I bought in Breckenridge, CO.
Then I made this one, which is my favorite. It's hanging in my family room. Emma loves this quilt. When she was an infant, she would stare at the colors and shapes. Bet you can guess where this one will end up someday!

5 comments:

Lori said...

You never seise to amaze me. It's no surpise to me that you go from small to very big...that's just your way of doing things. LOL.
Love them all.

Christy Lynn said...

Those are gorgeous, Vicki! I would love to learn how to quilt, but my hubby thinks I need another hobby the way I need another hole in my head...and really, I barely have enough time for all the hobbies I've already got so I see his point. Maybe one of these days I'll get into it when we're not moving every few years! Beautiful work on those.

Christi said...

Wow! Your quilting is amazing!!!

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness! These are truly works of art! My grandmother used to quilt by hand and would tear up her old clothes and use them for quilt squares. Those are so special to me!

These are just stunning, Vicki! Just stunning, thank you so much for sharing!

Laurel said...

Wow, beautiful quilts! How do you find the time to do it all?