Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ice Skating~A Vacation, A Challenge, and A Dream!

Our beloved Em and Nicky are on a wonderful Stampin' Cruise! While they are enjoying the Caribbean, Shannan issued a challenge to the Bella Sistahs stuck on land: create a card (using any Stamping Bella stamp) based on a water theme. 

Well, my favorite kind of water is frozen~not in cubes, but for skating! So, of course, I had to use Glideabella! My SIL, Lori, made a Glideabella card for me in January. I have been a figure skater since I was a tiny girl, so I just HAD to have Glideabella! She was my first and is my favorite Bella!

Now, the story of my card: We used to live in Colorado. A few years ago, we went back to Breckenridge for a ski trip. I don't ski anymore, but I still skate~so of course we had to skate on Keystone Lake! It is a shallow,  5 acre lake that totally freezes. In fact, we could see fish frozen in place right through the ice! The lake is located at the bottom of the Keystone ski runs, so you can watch the skiers while you skate! They Zamboni the surface so it is like glass. There are hockey nets in several spots, so you can skate or play hockey. Skating on Keystone Lake is by far my favorite thing to do on vacation! Here is a photo of a small portion of the lake. You can see the ski runs in the background.

Here is my favorite photo~Rick and I stealing a kiss! My favorite tree is in the background~the Colorado Blue Spruce. Its an evergreen with touches of turquoise. It's beautiful!


The above photo was my inspiration for the card I made for this challenge. I sketched in a Colorado Blue Spruce, but it's hard to see because of the reflection off of the Liquid Glass. This card shows what I dream of while I sleep. Of course, in my dreams I have her shape and I'm an Olympian! LOL

Stamp: Glideabella by Stamping Bella
Paper: CTMH Aspen
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics, Copic Spicas
Accessories: Taylored Expressions Ribbon, CTMH Liquid Glass, CTMH Waxy Flax in Vanilla, misc. buttons

Thanks for a fun challenge, Shannan!
TFL

5 comments:

Hope said...

Oh, how clever, Vicki! I love your cards and the ideas behind them!

Beautiful!

Jenn said...

Oh my WORD!!! This card is super fantastic!!! I love what you did with the liquid glass...it's too cool! :D

Lori said...

Great card and I love your story. You made the ice look just like the ice on the lake. Love the tree.
Hugs,
Me

Jamie Hurley said...

You did a wondeful job capturing your dream! I love the card!

Christy Lynn said...

Such a cute card, Vicky! My Bellas have been feeling a little neglected of late :( Love the pictures of Colorado, it looks gorgeous...but I don't ski :) I'd rather sit inside with hot cocoa and a good book!

My DH reads through everyone's comments on my blog and he says, "Who's Giffy?!" He thought your pot of gold comment was funny.