Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hidden Talents? NOT!

My sweet SIL, Lori, wants to know what other "hidden talents" I have. Well, I  just about fell off my chair laughing! Have you seen her cards and layouts? I am so NOT talented that I have to copy her! Except for writing, I cannot come up with anything on my own!

Over the years, I have had several hobbies. You already know about the writing, the card-making, and the scrap-booking. Most of you know that I am a die-hard Red Sox fan, and that I love figure skating~both doing it and watching it. I like to take lots of photos of just about anything. My favorite photos are the ones I take from flat on the ground, looking up through tree branches. On more than one occasion, my kids have walked away from me because they were humiliated that I would plop down on a sidewalk, flat on my back, and take a photo. LOL
I also love to needlepoint and quilt. I used to paint a lot. I could never sketch~but if I had a model to look at it, I could copy it. So nothing I ever painted was original~it all came from a pattern or photo that someone else made for me. Then the whole hand thing happened in 1999, and I lost most use of my right hand. I can't paint any longer, but I can quilt and needlepoint, albeit very slowly.

Here are three of my favorite painted projects. This first one is a simple still life. I love the colors. It's hanging in my kitchen eating area. The bright spot is from the flash~oops!


Being a children's author, as well as a former 3rd grade teacher, I love all things related to children's books. This shelf is hanging in my home office.

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle


The cow jumped over the moon.

The little dog laughed to see such sport, and the dish ran away with the spoon.


And, of course, there is my obsession with Peter Rabbit. I must say, the Miss Potter movie is my new favorite! I just love all of Beatrix Potter's characters and stories. Oh, to be an author of her caliber!

I made this little "stepping stool" years ago. It is now in Emma's room. She loves to sit on the top step and read books! 

Peter Rabbit in Mr. McGregor's garden


Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and their Mother


More another day! Thanks for looking!

No comments: