Tuesday, September 23, 2008

For Always...

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. He died 8 years ago, at the age of 80. Sometimes, it's hard to believe that it's been that long; other times, it still feels so new and painful...

When I was a little girl, I LOVED to pretend that I was marrying him! My mom gave me an old, sheer curtain which I would wrap around myself like a veil. I wore one of her fancy nightgowns, and I had a bouquet of plastic, yellow flowers. I would proudly march through our living room where my handsome groom awaited! One time, he gave me a "beautiful" dime store ring. It was gold, with a large red "stone." It's 38 years later, and I still have that ring. 

Here's an old Polaroid of me in my "wedding" dress, a photo of me with my parents on my real wedding day (which was 25 years ago, and I am still quite blessed to be married to my high school sweetheart, Rick!), and a photo of my real hubby in our favorite wedding photo.


I wrote this lyric in honor of my dad a few years back. Just thought it would be a fitting tribute for my dad's birthday.
 I love you, Daddy...

For Always

I was only eight years old
With a veil that Mama made
The dime store ring you gave to me
The plastic flower bouquet
You promised you would love me until the end of time
You smiled as you put your hand in mine...

I grew up and fell in love
Decided to get married
You walked me down the aisle
Said I'd always be your baby
You promised you would love me until the end of time
You cried as you slipped your hand from mine...

Watched you age, your hair turned gray
You said you were an old man
I wiped the tears from your eyes
As I held onto your frail hand
You looked at me with eyes that said
The things you couldn't say
I promised you that in my heart you'd stay
For always...

Living life without you now
It's still too hard to believe
Miss you more than I can say
At times I can barely breathe
I promised I would love you until the end of time
I cry as I long for your hand in mine...

Photographs and memories
Dime store ring is in a box
I pull them out from time to time
The years are no longer lost
I hear you say you'll love me until the end of time
I close my eyes and feel your hand in mine
For always...

(Written by Vicki Burns. Copyright © 2006 -2008 by
BibleShareware.org, Inc. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

Angie Williams said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a parent. I lost my Grandma 6 1/2 years ago and I still have nights I cry when I miss her so much or think how much I wish she was here to see this or that. It seems like only yesterday and it is already so long ago...

Lori said...

I keep coming back to this and every time, I get teary eyed. Your poem is so emotionally touching. It needs to be framed with a photo of you and you your dad and the dime store ring. Vicki, you are so blessed to have had such a wonderful relationship with your dad.